We will be using the DFV blog to assist our organization with defining and refining goals and objectives. Using the mission statement of Democracy for America, a draft mission statement for Democracy for Virginia has been created.
Please use the comments section to provide your feedback on this mission statement working draft. We hope to have a new draft available for discussion by April 15, 2003.
We are former supporters of Governor Howard Dean's "People-Powered" presidential campaign in Virginia. Our immediate goal is to elect Democrats to office in the 2004 General election at the local, state and national levels, focusing especially on the removal of George W. Bush. Our long term goals include:
- Recruitment and training of progressive candidates in local elections
- Volunteer support for selected candidates (fundraising, GOTV, etc.)
Coordinated support for issues that include the following:
- Reproductive freedom
- Voting Integrity Issues (access to voting, vote verification, etc.)
- Health care access for all
- Letter writing
- Voter registration
- Identification and persuasion
- Encouragement of small-dollar donations to support local candidates
- Constituency outreach