The following post is from Donna Goings, longtime DFA Meetup leader in Charlottesville.
As we put 2004 behind us we can look forward with hope and excitement. There are local, state, and national happenings that tell me we are not retreating in our efforts to change public policy.
1. Democracy for America/Democracy for Virginia Meetup
Wednesday, January 5th. 7:00PM
404 8th St. NE - 2nd floor the Prudential Building. Plenty of parking around the building.
Please register at http://dfa.meetup.com/3/
- View Lakoff DVD.
- Discuss DVD by reviewing current campaign literature and web sites of candidates for Gov., Lt. Gov. and Att. General of Virginia
- Brainstorm Session: A number of people have expressed a need for a DFA-Charlottesville Logo. We would make lapel pins and car stickers using this logo. Ideas floating--liberty bell, photo of Jefferson & Madison, etc.
Read more about Charlottesville DFA activities by clicking below!
2. Steering Committee Report: 12 people met on December 29th.
The Steering Committee
- will meet on the last Wednesday of each month. 7 PM - Donna's house
- will finalize the agenda for Meetup
- will recommend actions to Meetup
- will help develop the progressive message for Central Virginia by coordinating and participating with other groups in the area
- will educate ourselves and share what we learn with others
- will investigate upcoming meetings of candidates for statewide office and encourage DFA members to attend and consider endorsements.
- will investigate mechanisms for operating funds
- will coordinate with state and national DFA groups
3. January 20th. Local DFA sponsored "Light in the Darkness"
Richard Leahy is coordinating our "event" on Inauguration Day. We plan to meet on the west end of the Downtown Mall to hold candles and pass out flower seeds (to be planted in spring as our symbols of new growth and new hope for America). 5:30 PM. EVERYONE is invited. Bring friends.
4. . Mark your calendars NOW for Wednsday February 9th.
Democracy for America Charlottesville is sponsoring an evening with Jon Haidt - "It IS about Moral Values (and Democrats Can Win!)" Gravity Lounge. In addition to the January Meetup featuring the Lakoff DVD, this is another effort to help us learn to talk about progressive issues. Professor Haidt is an expert in this field. You will not want to miss it! The event is co-sponsored by Progressive Policy Virginia, Al Weed.
5. Other events:
January 15. Charlottesville. Mitch VanYahres' Road Back Pac is planning a training session for potential candidates, campaign managers, and anyone interested in working for Democratic Candidates in the Fall 05 elections. Register: Contact Connie Jorgensen at email@example.com or 293-3733.
January 21,22,23 - DC - Progressive Democrats of America conference. I will be going on Saturday for the day. I have room in my car for 3 more people. Register here for the Progressive Democrats conference.
Feb. 2nd - Next DFA Meetup
Thursday, February 3rd, 2005 - VA Pro-Choice Coalition's Pro-Choice Lobby Day at the Virginia General Assembly.
Saturday, February 5, 2005 -- The 2005 Jefferson Jackson Dinner at The Richmond Convention Center. Brought to you by the Democratic Party of Virginia. Details will follow later.
As you can see, there is much happening. To win in 2008, we must build our grassroots now. Find the events and topics that interest you and GET INVOLVED!
Here's to an exciting 2005!