Maura Keaney has done all of us a great service by unearthing numerous pieces of legislation introduced in the current Virginia House and Senate that call for our immediate action. This entry highlilghts one of particular concern to me as an adoptive parent.
In another example of the extraordinary extremist actions of some of the majority members of our Commonwealth's legislative bodies, last minute legislation has been introduced in the Virginia House to make adoption by gays and lesbians illegal in Virginia. The text of the bill can be found by following this link:
HB 2921 Prohibits adoptions by homosexuals.
This not only applies to adoption applications by couples made jointly, but also by adoptions of new partners of parents that wish to complete their family legally through adoption.
This should anger all of us, but it is particularly despicable to me as an adoptive parent. It is absolutely unacceptable to think that I would be able to adopt while other qualified loving adults would not -- for a totally arbitrary reason. This is outrageous and flies in the face of decency and common sense. This is a hateful crowd that would rather see children not receive permanent homes than place them with a loving parent that happens to be a gay or lesbian.
We need to unite in expressing our outrage over this legislation.
Okay. Deep breath everyone.
What do we do now? Here are some suggestions of action items:
• If you are an adoptive parent, an adopted child or a prospective adoptive parent and wish to contribute a personal story that you feel can resonate with people and demonstrate the ugliness of this bill, please write to me privately at email@example.com or openly to this group. The personal touch is the way to reach people. We can use your story with an alias if you wish to remain anonymous.
• If you live in Virginia, write to your Delegate and State Senator to express your views on this bill and demand that they oppose it. Please be polite in expressing your views.
• Contact the Democratic candidates for Lieutenant Governor in Virginia and let them know that you will expect them to oppose this bill and will consider this in your voting decision in the primary.
• If you participate in any adoption communities, please spread the word about this bill.
• If you live in Virginia and want to keep watch over bills in this legislative session, please join the Democracy for Virginia Legislative Sentry email list. This listserv was created to serve as a tool for collecting and disseminating information on bills for the upcoming Virginia legislative session. HB2921 is only one of dozens of very dangerous bills, and progressive activists in Virginia must get the word out about this proposed legislation among allied grassroots groups, organizations, and like-minded citizens. If you want to keep watch along with other volunteer "sentries", please sign up!
• Please take 10 minutes to email a letter to the editor of your local paper expressing your opinion of this bill.
I would like to hear from anyone who would like to join with me in active opposition to this bill. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Proud adoptive parent of my wonderful daughter Kyran Ide)