Don Wells, a special guest from the Charlottesville/Albemarle DFA Meetup, was a hit at last night's Democracy for America Meetup in Falls Church. Don's presentation on Social Security was extremely informative, entertaining, and helpful.
About 25 Democracy for Virginia supporters and guests gathered at our cozy new DFA Meetup venue, Stacy's Coffee Parlor on Rt. 7 in Falls Church, for two hours last night to hear Don's presentation and discuss strategies for protecting Social Security from the Bush administration's efforts to dismantle it.
Continue reading to find out more about Don's presentation, see more pictures, and to find out where you can find a DFA/DFV Meetup this month in your area of Virginia!
Don's slide and video program included:
- Historical background on Social Security, including changes over the years related to FICA payments, wage indexing, and benefits
- The importance of Social Security to the economy of Virginia and the people of Virginia, especially areas such as Congressional Districts 5 (Goode) and 9 (Boucher), where beneficiaries including retired, disabled, widowed, and spousal beneficiaries who count on Social Security account for more than 25% of the voting-age population
- A thorough de-bunking of Republican misinformation campaigns about Social Security
- Action items related to protecting Social Security
Don's humor, thorough knowledge, and effective use of multimedia made this presentation both effective and enjoyable.
After Don's presentation concluded, Federico Cura from the Arlington/Alexandria DFA Meetup led a discussion on framing and Social Security, and Falls Church Meetup Leader Sarah John encouraged all of us to share our personal stories about Social Security with DFA.
All of us from the Falls Church Meetup are very grateful to Don Wells and organizers from the Charlottesville/Albemarle DFV Meetup for taking this show on the road and sharing it with others around Virginia!
Our great guest speaker, Don Wells from Charlottesville, is pictured here in the tie, second from the left.
If you missed last night's DFA/DFV Meetups, there are several Meetups around the state which will be held later this month, including:
- The Roanoke Valley DFA/DFV Meetup will meet tonight (Thursday) at the Raleigh Court Library Meeting Room.
- The Blacksburg DFA/DFV Meetup also meets tonight!
- The DFA/Virginia Grassroots Coalition Meetup gets together next Tuesday, March 8 in Shirlington.
- The new Fairfax City DFA/DFV Meetup will be held next Wednesday, March 9, at Mama's on Lee Highway.
- The Arlington/Alexandria DFA/DFV Meetup gets together on Tuesday, March 15 at Capitol City Brewing Company.
- The Richmond DFA/DFV Meetup will be held on Thursday, March 16.
If you're interested in helping to start a new DFA/DFV Meetup in the Reston area, sign up here. Additional DFA/DFV Meetups can be found in Charlottesville, Leesburg/Loudoun, and Norfolk (Tidewater for Democracy). If there is no Meetup in your area, we'd be happy to help you start one!